Monday, January 14, 2008

Update: The story has been picked up over at Aint It Cool News (Click here) and with it some new information.

Apparently Judd Apatow isn't involved rather it's his company and his producing partner Shauna Robertson, but he's not personally involved. And the reshoots done recently were not rewritten after the strike, which is important to point out.

Also with AICN picking it there may be some distasteful or sophomoric comments, one in particular aimed at me for no good reason, in my comments section, but I take no offense and just laugh so you should too.


As I said in the comments section yesterday I was recently informed of some goings on with Fanboys, which apparently haven't been reported elsewhere.

Apparently Judd Apatow's production company has picked up Fanboys and he and co-producer Shauna Robertson have apparently taken the movie under their wing and are making a lot of changes and were doing re-shoots about 2-3 weeks ago.

I love the Apatow crew and with the exception of "Walk Hard" have enjoyed their movies. But I'm hoping they don't turn this into a "hard" R-rated comedy as the footage I saw was very sweet and was easily PG-13 (it might possibly end up being R, but not because every other word is a cuss word, so please keep it that way). From what I saw the movie didn't need reworking, which is apparently what the Apatow crew are doing.

Rumors are that one of the big changes would rework the entire plot of the movie and would honestly highly disappoint me.

The story follows a group of friends who try to break in Skywalker Ranch to steal a copy of Star Wars Episode 1. The reason they finally agree to do it is because one of the friends in dying of cancer and won't live to see it in theaters. Apparently the Apatow people have done research which says most people won't laugh for 5 or 10 minutes after cancer is mentioned so they want to do away with the entire cancer subplot and I've heard they have a version which edited out the entire cancer plot.

This means it's just a group of punk kids breaking into Skywalker Ranch to steal a movie to see it before it comes out. Why would I root for these kids to steal the film, if the noble reason for doing it is gone?

Judd if you read this, I'm all for more jokes and more money to make the film better, but for heaven's sake, please don't edit out the cancer plot. If you take this point away, you get rid of the heart of the film. The entire reason these kids go on this adventure is because they want their friend to see the movie before he succumbs to cancer. I understand cancer kills comedy, but a movie can have a 5 minute recovery period, it's okay! (Apparently some of the actors aren't happy with this either so maybe ask them about it)

Hopefully this version of the film has already been shot down and all these rumors will be for not, but if so I hope fan outpouring can change their minds.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I, too, am distressed at the reported 'tampering' that is apparently going on with Fanboys. Having seen nearly 45 minutes of said movie in various snippets while at Celebration IV in LA, it seems to me to be an unnecessary change. Having listened to the individuals most directly involved, Kyle Newman and all of the principal cast, speak so warmly, fondly, affectionately concerning their motivations for participating in this production, it aggravates and angers me that an 'outsider', even if it is Apatow, is coming in at the 11th hour and changing the entire direction of this project. I have been looking forward to the release date of this project since last Memorial day, eagerly awaiting what, for me, seemed to be a movie that would speak to my level of interest in the Star Wars universe, as similarly displayed by all of the convention attendees and the makers of this movie. Why the need to change things? I understand most people go to movies for escapist fare, but why the problem with the storyline? The joy and depth of caring the characters display by their desire to do something for their terminally ill friend is a wonderful movitation for the attempt to break into Skywalker Ranch, rather than for some mean-spirited, self-centered reason. I think changing this is a serious mistake and, if I discover that this has actually happened prior to the movie's release, I will not be spending my monies on a ticket. I do not know of Mr. Apatow or the Mssrs. Weinstein keep tabs on blogs such as yours or on internet comments and buzz, but, speaking for myself, any serious changes in the direction or main storyline will cause me to not attend this movie.

Thank you for giving me an opportunity to express my opinion.

Anonymous said...

Please don't come to Austin, douchebag. Your AICN article was idiotic.

Anonymous said...

I was also privledged to see footage at Celebration 4 and I was really looking forward to seeing the completed film. The LA audience in May didn't deflate at any point during the screening...Despite the Apatow research. It was lively and fun. The Star Wars connection is the heart of the film but the character's motivation was its soul. I would hate to see Fanboys lose any of that spirit. I hope the producers and studio execs ultimately stick with the directors original vision.

Jimmy Mac
The Force-Cast
The Force.Net/Podcast

The CineManiac said...

Tom Strong,
Thanks for letting me know your opinion of me. Your swell too.
The CineManiac.

Also it's been brought to my attention that Judd Apatow doesn't have anything to do with this but instead it's just his producing partner Shauna Robertson whose involved.

Anonymous said...

T-
What is AICN? It's good to see that your readership is expanding...Some people take themselves *way* too seriously! Love you!

The CineManiac said...

AICN = Ain't It Cool News

FETTS said...

I won the Ultimate Fanboys Contest and got to be there for the re-shoots in early December.

All I can say is NO COMMENT.

- Rob

Johnny Darrell said...

WHAT? Take a look at the movie FUBAR! The cancer storyline is what gave the loser heroes some heart and soul! Without the cancer storyline in FUBAR, the movie would still be funny but it wouldn't have any drive and it would just be a lame movie. I'm not saying FUBAR is an incredible film, but the cancer storyline suddenly brought the movie from one level to another.

Post a Comment