Monday, September 1, 2008


I know that The CW is bringing back 90210 (this Tuesday in fact) but I have to confess, although I'll be tuning in to it, I think it already has this generations BH90210 and it's name is Gossip Girl. Last season I was lucky enough to see the first episode a few weeks early and I wasn't sure about it. But I gave it a chance and I'm glad I did because it truly is a fun show.

I just finished watch the first 3 episodes of the new season and it's just as good as last season, no sophomore slump in site. The new season picks up as summer is coming to an end, which most of the gang has spent in The Hamptons. But my how times have changed, Former 'Lonely Boy' Dan is now a complete player, Serena and Nate are supposedly together but Serena is always alone and Nate can be found with an older woman. But some things, like say Chuck, never change...or do they?

When Blair returns from her summer abroad (a summer which was supposed to have been spent with Chuck as you may recall) Chuck is dressed up and there with flowers only to see her arrive with a new man. Blair's new man is clearly only a rouse to make Chuck jealous as she's clearly in love with him. But Blair's man is not who he seems and Chuck makes it his goal to find out who he really is, because he is clearly in love with Blair as well. Why these two can't just get over it all and get together I may never know?

Meanwhile back in New York Dan and Jenny are both spending time together and at their internships. Dan is working for an author, played by "Bright Lights, Big City" author Jay McInerney, but he can't seem to write anything for his assignment, which leads to him losing the internship. Meanwhile Jenny is interning for Blair's fashion maven mother, an internship which sees her sorting out button's rather than actually getting to design clothes, not that that stops her. Jenny has some great moments over the first three episodes and I for one am glad to see the old Jenny back, I was getting tired of the social climbing, backstabbing Jenny.

And Rufus is back from being on tour, on which he clearly missed his kids. And as some other reviewers have pointed out the first 2 episodes hint at a very unsettling relationship developing between him and a much younger girl. But I don't think that relationship will actually happen, I think it's just him being a good friend to kids friend.

And did I mention that all of this leads to Dan, Jenny, Nate, Chuck, Serena, Blair, and most of their friends and some of their parents winding up at the Vitamin Water White Party? Well did you actually expect an episode of Gossip Girl without a party? In fact you'll find a party in each of the first 3 episodes, something which never gets old.

So will Serena and Dan get back together, and if so will it last? Will Jenny's wonderful designs finally be recognized? Will Chuck ever let Blair know he loves her? And speaking of Blair who is her new paramour, and what twists could be coming from him?

Well to find out you'll just have to tune in tonight at 8/7 central to find out!

3 comments:

Kester Smith... said...

i don't know what to do with the fact that you watch gossip girl. i really don't.

The CineManiac said...

You say "Hmm my friend has very strange and eclectic taste, some of which I can't justify."
Then you move on with your life!

Kester Smith... said...

i can't. i'm trying, but i can't.

Post a Comment