Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Here's an example of how to make a good trailer and how to make a horrible trailer (of course the bad trailer may just be that it's a horrible movie).

First off we have the trailer for Terminator: Salvation (No it's real this time, no RickRoll's in site) which shows just enough to make us want to see it, while not giving it away. And it makes it look good:



Next up we have a movie I was holding out hope for simple because it stars Buffy's James Marsters, but which has been looking worse and worse over time. This trailer for Dragonball Z just makes it painfully obvious that this is going to be an awfully bad movie:


What do you think?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Were we even watching the same trailers? Dragonball is obviously going to be awesome.

What the heck is Terminator?

jana said...

I think the Dragonball trailer is done in the same cheese-Japanimation spirit as the cartoon. It's always annoyed me how Americans are portraid in Japanimation. It got me so angry that I won't let Zac and Jake watch anything remotely like Japanimation. Terminator looks terrific, though. I'm totally invested in the series.

The CineManiac said...

John - I know you love you some Dragonball but seriously it looks sooo bad. I'll be seeing it free, definitely not paying for that one.

Jana - Not all Anime is bad. There's some stuff in that style that' supposed to be great for kids. Like Avatar on Nickelodeon. Maybe you should check it out and see if it's something you're kids might like.

jana said...

Now that you mention it, I do let the kids watch Avatar. The characters on that show are not Americans, though. I hate the way Americans are portrayed as whining crybabies (even though these days that stereotype is not far off) ala Pokemon and Digimon.

Kenny said...

Travis,
I am wondering what you were expecting from a Dragonball Movie (based on a japanimation cartoon show) that would have been upset by this trailer. This looks like a live action rendition of the cartoon. What were you expecting? I am sure it will be a bad movie, but can it be any worse than "The Masters of the Universe" (based on the He-Man cartoon), starring Dolph Lundgren (which I loved as a child)!

The CineManiac said...

Kenny,
I was hoping for something that looks like a good action movie. Instead I'm left with what looks like a horrible video game adaptation directed by Uwe Boll.
Let's face it there have been some cartoon to movie translations which have looked and worked much better. (TMNT comes to mind, even as a corny 90s movie it looks better than DBZ)

Post a Comment