Tuesday, August 3, 2010

NBC has a ton of new series heading to your screen this fall. Last week I came home to find a package containing pilots for many of these series. To get you ready I've got some thoughts on some of the shows, as well as some videos for your enjoyment. Because all of the pilots I've seen are rough cuts I'm not going to do a full review, but just give you some thoughts on them.  Get all the info after the jump.



The Event (Mondays 9/8c)
This was the first pilot I watched as it's probably the NBC series I'm most excited about. I can tell you the pilot lived up to my expectations. In fact the pilot for The Event, did what any good pilot should do, it got me excited for episode 2. In fact, I was kind of upset I got to watch it early, because it means I have to wait that much longer to find out what happened. The mystery is intriguing and while I still have no clue what is going on, I am dying to know more. Also, the cast is fantastic, featuring Blair Underwood (Dirty Sexy Money), Scott Patterson (Gilmore Girls), Laura Innes (ER), Sarah Roemer (Fired Up!, Disturbia), and Zeljko Ivanek (True Blood, Damages, Any Show Needing a Bad Guy), among others. But among all this talent its Jason Ritter (Parenthood, The Class) steals the show. It helps that he has the most compelling story line, but he's also just such a like able actor that you can't wait for the show to return to his story. All in all I'm dying to see episode 2.
You can get a look at The Event below:

The Disappearance


The CIA Cover-Up


The Assassination Plot


Chase (Mondays 10/9c)
Chase follows Annie Frost, a US Marshall, as she chases fugitives across the country. A case of the week style procedural, but with the ability to hop locations, and likely, given the name, a lot of emphasis on chase scenes. Kind of like Criminal Minds, but without each week being about a serial killer. The characters are interesting, and the mystery of Annie's past my be enough to keep viewers coming back.
Here's a Sneak Peek:



Undercovers (Wednesdays 8/7c)
JJ Abrams, the mastermind behind Felicity, Alias, and to some extent Lost, bring us a new spin on the spy genre. Steven and Samantha Bloom (Boris Kodjoe, Soulfood and Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Doctor Who, respectively) are a married couple who own a catering business. They've clearly been married for years, and are kind of stuck in a rut. But the old spark is rekindled when the CIA, their former employer, comes calling to help them find a former colleague. The pilot was entertaining, but was a little too stand-alone for me, and the end really didn't make me feel a need to return for episode 2. But Kodjoe and Mbatha-Raw do a great job as a married couple who find they don't know everything about their spouse, like they thought they did.

Full Length Preview:

Sneak Peek:



Outlaw (Fridays 10/9c)
Also heading to TV's this Fall is Jimmy Smit's (Dexter, NYPD Blue) new series, Outlaw. Smits stars as a Supreme Court Justice, who's sick and tired of stepping on the little guy and decides to step down from the Supremes and form his own law firm. I have a rough cut of the pilot sitting on my mantel, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. But considering the show co-stars another Dexter alum, David Ramsey (not the Finance Guru), and CineManiac favorite's Carly Pope (Popular) and Jesse Bradford (Bring It On, Hackers) I'm pretty psyched to watch it. Check out a preview below:

0 comments:

Post a Comment