Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Tonight was a sad one in the Tidmore household, first we heard the horrendous news that Veronica Mars was (most likely) canceled and then we sat down to watch the Series Finale of our much beloved Gilmore Girls. For three years and 7 seasons Lorelai and Rory Gilmore have warmed our hearts and introduced us to the wonderful town of Stars Hollow. (we didn't catch on to the show until after the 4th season ended)
I still remember how we got started, it was summer 2004 and there was nothing on TV. I went to blockbuster on my way home from work to find something Jeri and I could watch together. I was perusing the shelves when I saw the box for the first season of Gilmore Girls. I don't know why I picked it up, I think I had heard it was a good show, and after reading the box I knew it was something Jeri would enjoy. We stuck it in the DVD player and enjoyed the first few moments of the show, then a name came across the screen that Jeri immediately recognized Jared Padalecki. Apparently Jeri and Jared had gone to elementary school together for a few years and were friends. Jeri was hooked because of seeing her childhood friend.
We blew through the first season in about a week and then realized that blockbuster didn't have seasons 2, 3, or 4. So I did what any good lovesick fan does, I got on eBay and bought the three seasons on DVD set. For the rest of the summer we would cuddle up on the couch, set a box on top of the coffee table, plug in the laptop (The DVDs wouldn't work in my player for some reason), and watch Gilmore Girls. It was a wonderful way to watch a show, on a small computer screen, cuddled up on the couch in our small apartment. I have fond memories of those first 4 seasons.
Since then we've watched the show every Tuesday night for 3 years, so it was with a regretful heart that we sat down to watch the final episode. Many have complained that this season hasn't been the same since Creator Amy Sherman-Palladino left, and while I'll agree it hasn't been the same I don't think it's been as bad as some would have you believe. And in fact recently some of the episodes have been wonderful. I was hoping the Series Finale would be one of these.
I was happy to find that it was in fact a wonderful episode, full of the quick talkin' humor fans have come to love, as well as plenty of tear-inducing scenes. I was worried the finale wouldn't wrap everything up since at the time it was filmed negotiations were still going to bring it back for another season. Luckily, the finale was made to work as either a Series or Season finale, and work it did.
The finale allowed fans to say goodbye to all of the characters we've come to love, including most of the citizens of Star Hollow, and of course some wonderful scenes with the always present Parents/Grandparents, Richard and Emily. The Finale also wrapped up the Luke & Lorelai romance to some extend and left us with an answer to what lies ahead for Rory.
In the end I was left satisfied, if somewhat sad, that the journey was over. I'll admit I cried a few times, because it felt like good friends were leaving and we'd never see them again. It was bittersweet, but at least I have 7 seasons to remember them by, unlike my good friend VM. (Tear)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Many have complained that this season hasn't been the same since Creator Amy Sherman-Palladino left, and while I'll agree it hasn't been the same I don't think it's been as bad as some would have you believe. And in fact recently some of the episodes have been wonderful."

I totally agree. While I was pretty disappointed in much of this last season, and there were a couple of eps that I thought were just bad, it wasn't anywhere near the disaster people made it out to be. I thought the last few were excellent, and I thought the series finale was pretty near perfect, as far as satisfaction. From the time Lor and Ror pulled up to the party until the end, I was pretty much a sobbing mess.

Post a Comment