Wednesday, March 19, 2008


Last week while my wife had surgery I decided to pick up a graphic novel I had heard nothing but rave reviews about, Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life, in order to pass the time. Precious Little Life is the first volume of Bryan Lee O'Malley's Scott Pilgrim series. The novel follows Scott, the 23-year old bassist for 'Sex Bob-Omb', as he falls for Ramona Flowers and begins to date her. What starts as a normal romance book quickly turns on it's head as it's revealed that Scott Must fight Ramona's Evil Ex-Boyfriends. The story will unfold over 6 volumes, with the first four currently available and the last two expected later this year and the end of 2009.

Much to my delight the book lived up to the hype and over the next 4 days I devoured the remaining 3 volumes and am eagerly awaiting the final 2 volumes. I had heard that Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz director Edgar Wright was at work adapting the first volume into a movie, so it was with much delight that I woke up this morning to the news that Michael Cera was in final talks to play Scott Pilgrim. Hopefully this means that the movie is heading into development and will be hitting the screen sometime in the next 2 years, maybe just in time for the final volume to hit the stands.


Below I've added the covers for the other 3 volumes of the series, in case you want to run out and pick them up, which I highly recommend, as it's the perfect blend of humor, romance, and sweet fight scenes, all of which slowly become more and more surreal as the series unfolds.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Travis,
How are you going to stay on the cutting edge of "the industry" when you move to Austin?

The CineManiac said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The CineManiac said...

The same way I do now, The Internets!

Post a Comment