Tuesday, September 16, 2008


Smallville and I have an on again, off again relationship. Our relationship began a couple of years after the show started when the DVD of Season 1 was released. I purchased it and devoured it over a few short days. To say I loved Smallville's first season would be an understatement, I was (and still am) a huge comic geek and here was a show that brought Superman to life without ever giving us Superman. It was a fun show with lots of wonderful in-jokes for the comic fans.

Soon after the Season 1 DVD came out I started watching the show, which was then on Season 3 (I've only seen a couple of episodes from Season 2). Season 3 had some great moments and a good overarcing story. Then came Season 4, which had some great stand alone episodes and introduced Lois Lane, but also took a misstep with the season long story arc which involved "magic stones" as I call them. Season 4 started an off-again phase with me caring less and less about the show as the season went on.

Season 5 started getting better introducing Aquaman, Cyborg, and Braniac and had a much better story-arc. Our relationship was back and I was excited. Then Season 6 came along, it introduced Green Arrow, brought us an early version of The Justice League and had a lot of great stuff. Unfortunately it also brought with it Lana & Lex getting married, a fake pregnancy, Lana's clearly fake death, and a little bit too much of a conspiracy theory for me. It didn't help that I missed a few episodes for various reasons. And like that our relationship seemed to be coming to an end. In fact I didn't watch a single episode of Season 7, assuming our relationship had ended and that's the way it was going to be.

Then Monday I recieved another package in the mail, the Season 8 Premiere of Smallville (See it Thursday 8/7c on The CW) and in an instant our relationship was back in full swing. The previously on filled me in on what had happened last season, Lex found out Clark's secret, they fought at the Fortress of Solitude and it ended with both men missing and the Fortress destroyed. Meanwhile in Metropolis Lana and Ms. Kent both left Smallville (and the show) and Jimmy Olsen proposed to Chloe (the loan remaning Season 1 character besides Clark) just before she was arrested for cyber-crimes, or course because of Lex. Oh and some online research told me that Lex killed Lionel, which saddens me because I loved Lionel.

The season picks up where the last left off, Clark and Lex are missing and lots of people are searching for each of them. Lex's cronies are in the artic searching for Lex while the Justice League (in the form of Black Canary, Green Arrow, and Aquaman) are searching for Clark, although its mentioned that Flash and Cyborg are searching for him as well, just on the other side of the planet.

Meanwhile Chloe's being held by the gov't doing tests on her and her abilities. But no one seems to be able to figure out where Chloe is being held and of course Lois is determined to find out, even if it means she winds up dead trying. And Clark is quite possibly in the last place you'd ever expect him to be unless maybe your name is Mark Millar.

This season seems to have some good stuff in store: Clark finally joins the Daily Planet, and it's been said he and Lios' relationship will finally start moving from the Brother/Sister relationship they have to one more like the one seen in the comics. And from the credits it appears that Justin Hartley's Green Arrow will be sticking around for some time to come.

And this season has a new villian, with Lex gone the top spot goes to his replacement at Luthor Corp, Tess Mercer (Cassidy Freeman). She seems just evil enough to do anything to get what she wants, and yet looks just innocent enough for you to doubt what she's capable of.

All I know is that the Season 8 premiere convinced me that it's time to take Smallville back into my arms and begin are relationship again. I'm ready for this 8th season, and I never even saw it walking back into my life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment