Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I love movies, I don't think there's any question about that. I've got a huge DVD collection, I see more movies in theaters than is healthy and I spend too much time in front of the TV. And I enjoy good movies, there's nothing like a good drama to draw me in, a great comedy to make me laugh, or a good thriller to get my mind racing and my butt on the edge of the seat.

But for some reason there are some really dumb movie I keep coming back to. Movies that are entertaining to me for no good reason, movies that I know are not good, yet I keep watching them over and over. Now I'm not talking about dumb comedies that lots of people enjoy like Dumb and Dumber or Billy Madison, or B horror movies which are a completely different obsession of mine. I'm talking movies the most people don't want to see or regret having seen once, yet I keep watching them. Here's a few of them:

Dude, Where's My Car
Probably the dumbest movie on this list. Possibly one of the dumbest movies ever made, yet I own it and I love it. Sean William Scott and Ashton Kutcher play two morons who in the course of one drunken night lose their car and spend the next day trying to go back through their night to find the car. The movie features aliens, cults, a giant super model, and someone confusing ostriches for llamas. It's dumb.

And yet I've watched that movie more times than I've seen many of my favorite movies of all time like Rear Window. I can't explain what makes a guy arguing with a Chinese woman through a drive through box who only says "And Then" funny, but something about it makes me laugh every single time. Trust me when I say it's a stupid, stupid movie. I honestly can't recommend you go see it.

Vegas Vacation
Hands down the worst of the Vacation movies, yet for some reason it's my favorite. Maybe I like this one simply because it gave us the name Nick Papageorgio as an alias for underage son Rusty, but for some reason I love this movie. I actually just finished watching it on TV. And I'm pretty sure I rented it in the last 6 months. It's so bad they even took the "National Lampoon's" out of the title, and that says a lot!


Balls of Fury
This is a new one. I just watched it for the first time the other day, but I'm sure I'll be seeing it a few more times in the next few months. This one is even dumber than most as it's about the FBI hunting a big time drug dealer through ping pong. But it had me laughing over and over again.

Big Trouble in Little China
I hesitate to even include this one on the list because it's a cult classic these days. But maybe it's only a cult classic because there's just a small number of people like me who keep watching it even though we know it's dumb. Or maybe James Wong has a strange hold on me since he's in Balls of Fury as well.

I know there's many more, like in high school when I used to watch Predator 2, any Critters movie, and the other dredge they used to show over and over on TBS, but I can't think of any more off the top of my head. And I really can't explain why I've never seen movies like Raising Arizona (I plan to remedy that soon), There Will Be Blood, The Godfather II, Schindler's List, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, or A Clockwork Orange, yet I've seen Dude, Where's My Car at least 9 times.

So what are the stupid movies you can't escape from? Why do you think we keep watching the movies we know aren't worth our time? I can't wait to hear your thoughts.

2 comments:

jana said...

George's favorite movie is Big Trouble In Little China, dumb or not dumb. I don't think he differentiates!

Shea said...

I, too, must admit my love for big trouble in little china....

Post a Comment