Thursday, September 25, 2008

Ok let me just get this out of the way: I Love Shia LaBeouf. I've been a fan of his since my college days when the roommates and I would some home every day and watch Even Stevens on the Disny Channel. He was hilarious playing the main character Louis who was always getting into trouble and playing pranks. Since then I've followed his career and I'm glad he's become a pretty big name. I own quite a few of Shia's movies and I plan on adding Eagle Eye to the shelf when it hits DVD.

If you've seen the trailers for Eagle Eye you know the basic premise: LaBeouf's Jerry Shaw comes home to find his apartment is full of weapons, fertilizer, and other items which make him look like a terrorist. Soon Shaw receives a phone call telling him he's been "activated" and that he has 30 seconds before the FBI shows up to arrest him. Soon the voice on the phone is instructing him to escape the FBI's custody with the help of Michelle Monaghan's Rachel Holloman.

LaBeouf & Monaghan take some time for themselves

What you don't know from those previews is that this initial premise is just the tip of the iceberg. Once the first act comes to an end the movie shifts gears and changes course from where you expect it to go. And then late in the movie there is another twist that sends the movie on yet another course. These twists keep the movie from being the basic run of the mill thriller that the trailer might have you believe it is.

Its hard to say too much about this movie without spoiling it, so I won't say to much more. I will say that several times during the movie I had to consciously force myself to open up my hands as I found myself white-knuckled from squeezing them so tight. The movie is the perfect popcorn film, with lots of great action sequences including an amazing car chase in the beginning. The plot works well and has some pertinence in today's society with Big Brother constantly watching us, but it's not so relevant that it will haunt you, this is just a fun thrill ride of a movie after all.

LaBeouf jogging for charity

I will say there were a couple of things that did disappoint me, one being just exactly who was the person one the other end of the phone calls. Not so much their identity but the execution of it. (you can e-mail me for more specificity after you see the movie). And I would have liked a slightly different ending.

But overall it's was a fun movie that will keep you on the edge of your seat, and maybe give you white knuckles to boot.

Eagle Eye Opens Nationwide Tomorrow!

1 comments:

Cheri said...

I saw this at Fantastic Fest and while I enjoyed it, I thought it was too predictable and cliched in several places. The chase scenes were fantastic, though. :)

Post a Comment