"The Marriage Ref, Minute To Win It and Who Do You Think You Are have all been picked up for a second season!"
Yes, unfortunately for those of us that enjoy quality television NBC has announced that they have picked up their 3 mid-season reality series for a second season.
Seriously people, which of you is watching these shows, and why do you hate me? If you really cared about me, quality television, or the earth, you would stop watching this crap. If you're weekends are so horrible that you resort to watching any one of the 3 shows above here's some things you can do that will be a better use of your time:
1. Watch Chuck. I don't care if you DVR it and watch it on the weekend, buy the DVDs and catch up, or watch it online. No matter how you watch it, you're supporting one of the best shows on TV, whose ratings are likely well below those of the hellspawn series above.
2. Go to the Cinema. Go out on a date and see a movie, check out Hot Tub Time Machine, or if you're an old fogey, which, let's face it, if you're watching any of theses shows, you probably are, go see The Last Song (artsy) or The Bounty Hunter...on second thought if you're desperate enough to see the Bounty Hunter you should probably just stay home.
3. Rent a movie. Support you're local mom & pop video store, or since they're probably all closed, go support you're local Blockbuster, or if it's closed (like most blockbusters these days) hit up a red box or netflix. Seriously you can find something better to watch than The Marriage Ref.
4. Read a Book. Books? What's a book? I know right, but recently I discovered these things, they have paper with words on them and they tell a story. In fact some movies and tv series are based on these things. I'm Serious! Enjoy The Blind Side, read the true story in book form! Like Shutter Island, yep, it's a book! There's hundreds, maybe thousands of these things out there, and a lot of them are good. (Did anyone else know that the Harry Potter movie series, was a book series first? Mindblown!)
5. Research Your Own Family Tree. Rather than watch a celebrity you don't care about (seriously Matthew Broderick, you haven't been in anything relevant since you played Ferris Bueller) research their family roots, how about you get off your lazy bum and do it yourself. Maybe you'll find out you have a family member who was a king, or maybe you'll discover your ancestor was part human, part cylon. (And if you don't get that joke you can do Bonus thing: Watch the complete Battlestar Galactica series)
6. Have emergency surgery, bleach your eye balls, cut off a limb, play with fire and hazardous chemicals. I promise you any one of these things is more productive and better for your health in the long run than watching Minute to Win It.
Here's the bits of the press release I thought you might care about:
NBC Picks Up Three Freshman Series As 'The Marriage Ref,' 'Minute To Win It' and 'Who Do You Think You Are?' are Renewed for 2010-11NBC has picked up three freshman alternative series as "The Marriage Ref," "Minute to Win It" and "Who Do You Think You Are?" are renewed for the 2010-11 season.
Minute to Win It...Guy Fieri...The Marriage Ref...Jerry Seinfeld....Who Do You Think You Are?...Lisa Kudrow